Thomas B. McComb had a vision, the people who had moved into the community of Elmont needed a church. He had already started several churches in the northern part of the Texas and knew what it would take to make such a church succeed. His vision would lead to a lighthouse for Christ being planted in Elmont that still shines today: Elmont Baptist Church.
In 1869, the church began. It was originally named New Home Baptist Church, and one and one half acres of land was purchased from Joseph and Mary Jackson for a building site for thirty dollars. The name was changed to Elmont Baptist Church, and Rev. McComb became the first pastor. He served for 25 years until his retirement in 1894. A permanent building was not built until 1888 when the church dispatched seven wagons to Jefferson, Texas to buy lumber for the construction. The group lead by John Bowen took six weeks to make the round trip journey. When the lumber arrived the members of the congregation pitched in and did the construction. This building served as the place of worship until 1949, when a new church building was constructed.